Discussions about, toward,
around, and alongside the
New England American Studies
Association's Fall 2011 Conference.
See the schedule at the bottom of
the page, and please add your voice
and perspective to the mix!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Home Sings Me of Sweet Things

The issue of home, homeownership, popular culture, public policy, and the inextricable web they weave in our national narrative is fascinating… and I am pleased to be able to present my research and thoughts on the subject at the 2011 New England American Studies Association Conference in November. I hope you will join the “Places and Spaces” panel on Friday, November 4, 2011 at Plimoth Plantation.

In the mean time, I leave you with some of my favorite songs about home... and encourage you to share yours below. 

Little Boxes by Melvina Reynolds 
There's a green one and a pink one
And a blue one and a yellow one,

And they're all made out of ticky tacky

And they all look just the same.


This Must Be the Place by the Talking Heads

But I guess I'm already there
I come home –she lifted up her wings
Guess that this must be the place
I can't tell one from another
Did I find you, or you find me?

Home is Where the Heart Is by Elvis Presley
Home is where the heart is
And my heart is anywhere you are
Anywhere you are is home
I don't need a mansion on a hill
That overlooks the sea
Anywhere you're with me is home

I’m Going Back Home by Nina Simone
I'm going back home where I was born
First I planned to stay but I can't live this way
I'm going back home where I was born


Written by Marieke Van Der Steenhoven
University of Southern Maine, American and New England Studies 

No comments:

Post a Comment